In case you didn't know...
1. In 1880, Melbourne was the richest city in the world.
2. Australia was the second country in the world to allow women to vote (New Zealand was first).
3. The mysterious platypus has venom strong enough to can kill a small dog.
4. 1 million wild camels roam the Australian deserts. They were originally brought over to help with railroad construction.
5. There are over 60 different species (types) of kangaroos.
6. Aboriginal culture is the oldest on Earth. It’s estimated that the continent’s original inhabitants have been in Australia for a staggering 40,000-60,000 years.
7. Australia is the only continent without an active volcano.
8. Former Prime Minister Bob Hawke set a world record for sculling 2.5 pints of beer in 11 seconds. Hawke later suggested that this was the reason for his great political success.
9. The Great Barrier Reef is the planet's largest living structure.
10. The average Aussie drinks 96 litres of beer per year.